Elisa Monte Dance Education Activity Summary - FY11/12
- EMD worked with high school students from Our Lady of Mercy Academy in Long Island through City Center’s Center Connections program. During the master class, students worked on technique, choreographic concepts and learned parts of Monte’s White Dragon (1985). Afterward, Artistic Director Elisa Monte joined Tiffany Rea-Fisher for a Q & A session with the participants.
- In September, Associate Artistic Director Tiffany Rea-Fisher set Monte's Via Sacra on the students at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville, Florida as well as taught master classes.
- EMD company dancers taught master classes at Dickinson State University in Dickinson, ND (Jan); Wells College in Aurora, NY (Feb) and Lake Placid, NY (April).
- EMD held a lecture/demonstration performance for 300 students at PS 84 in January.
At-Risk Populations This year EMD has paid special attention to “at risk” populations such as the mentally and physically handicapped and battered women. During the company’s residency at Dickinson State University, company members taught dance classes focused on self-esteem for the residents of two social service groups, Able, Inc. and the Life After Fear Support Group.
Professional WorkshopsDuring the 2011-12 Season, the company hosted professional workshops at several NYC studios.
- Artistic Director Elisa Monte taught at STEPS on Broadway as a part of the Contemporary Masters Series.
- Associate Artistic Director Tiffany Rea-Fisher taught at Dance New Amsterdam through DNA’s Guest Artist Series and conducted master classes at Steffi Nossen School of Dance in White Plain, NY.
- Artistic Director Elisa Monte & Associate Artistic Director Tiffany Rea-Fisher led a technique and repertory workshop at Peridance Capezio Center.
- The EMD Choreography Workshop was held at Red Bean Studios in July. The dozen participants gained tremendous knowledge and useful skills from Elisa Monte and multiple guest choreographers.
What People are Saying about our Programs
Thank YOU! and your talented dancers. It was one of the most successful in-school performances I’ve ever seen. Students were riveted; teachers and administrators were thrilled with their focus and level of questioning. The overwhelming response when I asked if they’d like the company to return was heart warming. I look forward to future collaborations.-
- Arlene Jordan, New York City Center Connections
I was more than thrilled with your master classes! Wow, they were so fantastic, inspiring, and breathtaking. I haven't seen such excellent classwork in years! I could hardly keep form dancing in the lobby
-Elizabeth Wilmot-Bishop, Wells College
I really enjoyed the Steps workshop. It was really refreshing and enjoyable. I just wanted to share my appreciation Thanks & I will see you tomorrow!
- Joy, Steps workshop student
Elisa Monte Dance approaches dance education to encompass every level of dancer and student; from community non-dancers and novices to advanced-level dance students
EMD’s Educational Offerings:
- Lecture demonstrations
- Master classes
- Workshops of short & long durations
- Open company rehearsals
The continued expansion of our educational initiative serves to broaden and diversify EMD’s constituency. We hope to use dance to facilitate communication and learning between young people from diverse cultures.
A New York City native, Elisa Monte has been personally connected to the dance community of the city throughout the course of her career. She has shared her love of dance and her company’s work through workshops and master classes in the public schools as well as at the city’s major private dance studios for three decades.
Connecting the General Public to Our Work
At all of EMD's annual performances, we offer lecture demonstrations, master classes, sneak peaks and post show discussions. Other educational activities included setting work on young dancers and developing ties with colleges and universities, which bring work to the EMD dancers outside of rehearsing and performing.